1-800-425-7570 1-800-425-7570    Se Habla Español Request Brochure My Account
Person cutting down tree at work with their C49 Tree and Palm Contractors License

The New C49 Tree and Palm Contractors License in 2024

Are you interested in advancing your career in tree and palm maintenance, removal, stump grinding, pruning, and limb guying? If so, you may want to consider becoming a licensed C49 Tree and Palm Contractor in California.

What’s new with the C49 Tree and Palm Contractors License?

Starting January 1, 2024, the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) will accept applications for the new C49 Tree and Palm Contractors License, formerly known as C61-D49 Tree Service before 2024. Under the new C49 classification, applicants will need to pass two state exams to obtain their contractor’s license: the Law & Business exam and the C49 Trade exam.

The Next Step

If you are serious about becoming a licensed C49 Tree and Palm contractor, make sure that you are ready to open a company, complete the licensing process and operate as a successful licensed contractor here in California. If you would like a hassle-free path to success, contact Contractors Intelligence School at 1-800-425-7570 and see what we can do for you. If you would like to know the steps that will allow you to become a licensed C49 contractor, then refer to the following:

Step 1: Open a company.

The CSLB issues licenses to business entities including sole ownerships, partnerships, corporations, joint ventures, and limited liability companies (LLCs). Once you establish your company, you can start the application process.

Step 2: Complete the CSLB application.

Complete the state application and make sure to list the desired C49 classification in the designated box. This is also the part of the process where you will show your 4 years of journey-level experience. A certifier is required to sign and certify that you meet this experience requirement.

Step 3: Prepare for the exams.

Use the study materials that Contractors Intelligence School has provided and prepare for the Law & Business exam as well as the C49 trade exam.

Step 4: Pass the state exams.

Successfully register for and pass your state exams through PSI Exams.

Step 5: Complete the Final Steps.

After passing your state exams, the CSLB will provide each applicant with a letter that details all the necessary final steps. Most applicants will be required to obtain a contractors bond, get fingerprinted, obtain workers compensation insurance, complete an open book asbestos test, and pay an initial license fee. Once complete, the CSLB will issue a wall certificate and a pocket card.

Although this process may seem tedious and lengthy, it doesn’t have to be. As a student at Contractors Intelligence School, we will make this process seamless and simple. Feel free to reach out to one of our agents with questions or visit our website to see what it’s like to become a student.

licensed C49 Tree and Palm contractor working with chainsaw

The Payoff

As a licensed C49 Tree and Palm contractor, you will be able to show your specialized knowledge and expertise in arboriculture, tree biology, and plant health care. This knowledge will bring valuable services and advice to clients. You will also find that this line of work can be very rewarding, and you will have the opportunity to work in different environments, such as residential properties, commercial spaces, parks, and public areas. Each day brings new challenges and opportunities to improve the health and aesthetics of trees and palms. Don’t forget that C49 contractors contribute to community safety. Regular tree inspections, pruning, and removal help prevent accidents caused by falling branches or unhealthy trees. This sense of responsibility towards the community adds a meaningful aspect to the work. Best of all, obtaining this contractor's license allows you to be your own boss, set your own hours, and build a successful enterprise. Overall, becoming a licensed C49 Tree and Palm Contractor in California can open up new opportunities and advance your career in the industry.

What will happen to the old C61-D49 licenses?

If you know someone who obtained their C61-D49 license before 2024, please notify them that the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) permits license renewal. However, it's important to note that the CSLB is no longer accepting applications for the C61-D49 classification. Going forward, existing companies interested in obtaining the new C49 classification must complete an Application for Additional Classification and once approved successfully pass the mandated trade examination.

#1 California Contractors License Prep Program. Try our free interactive course demo.


Full online course

Full Online Course

Law & Trade Course

Regular Price: $595.00

Live streaming course


Includes Full Online Course



Home Study



Our live classes are available
throughout California.

Includes Study Material


Limited Time Offer | Save $500

Get The Complete California
Contractors License Prep Program

For Just $1,200 $695

This special offer includes:

  • Full Online Course
  • Live Streaming Classes
  • We Pay Your 1st Year Contractors License Bond
See Details

Expires 3/31/2024

Limited offer